Germany’s Social Democratic Party (SDP) has defended its stand on its Indian-origin former MP’s alleged involvement in child pornography, dismissing claims that he was informed about plans to open an investigation against him.
Sebastian Edathy, 44, is suspected of involvement in child pornography.
Sigmar Gabriel, chairman of the centre-left Social Democratic Party (SPD), has indicated that the party’s leadership was considering its long-time spokesman on home affairs and managing board member for a government post during the coalition negotiations with chancellor Angela Merkel’s Christian Democratic Union (CDU) last October.
“We were in the midst of taking crucial decisions on personnel when former interior minister Hans-Peter Friedrich informed him about intelligence information that Mr Edathy’s name emerged during investigations into a globally-operating child pornography ring,” Gabriel said.
“The information given by Friedrich was very helpful for the SPD and therefore his decision on Friday to resign from his post as the minister for food and agriculture in the new cabinet is especially bitter for the SPD,” Gabriel said in a television interview.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Friedrich tendered his resignation following allegations that he had leaked confidential intelligence information on Edathy and about plans to open an investigation against him, enabling him to remove or destroy crucial evidence.
The SPD leadership insisted that it kept this information secret and it was not passed on to Edathy.
Wolfgang Bosbach, home affairs spokesman of the CDU, said Edathy could have become a parliamentary secretary or even the justice minister in the new government. But, it would have been catastrophic if the probe against him on suspicion of possessing or attempting to acquire child pornography were launched only after he assumed a new government office.
Therefore, Friedrich did the right thing by informing Gabriel about the intelligence information concerning the SPD politician’s alleged attempts to acquire child pornography and plans to open an investigation against him, Bosbach said.
Edathy, son of a migrant from Kerala, unexpectedly laid down his parliamentary seat last Friday after more than 15 years on health grounds.