The US ambassador to France has been summoned to the French Foreign Ministry following revelations by WikiLeaks that the US National Security Agency eavesdropped on the past three French presidents.
Ambassador Jane Hartley is expected to appear at the ministry on Wednesday afternoon, according to a French diplomatic official. The official was not authorized to be publicly named.
- Emmanuel Macron urges China, EU to avoid pitfalls of protectionism
- WikiLeaks: National Security Agency eavesdropped on last three French presidents
- With spies like these
- Australia,US spied on Indonesia during UN climate change talks in 2007
- Obama calls up French President over new NSA spying report
- French govt summons US envoy over new spying report
The summons came after France’s president condemned the revelations as an “unacceptable” breach of security.
The 2006-12 documents published in French newspaper Liberation and investigative website Mediapart on late Tuesday include material that appeared to capture officials in Paris talking candidly about Greece’s economy and relations with Germany.