Five French climbers were found dead on Wednesday on Mont Blanc, Europe’s highest mountain, with a sixth member of the group still missing, local authorities said.
The six climbers, including one guide, had been reported missing since Tuesday evening after they failed to return to their shelter when bad weather hit the mountain.
The group had set out to climb the “Aiguille d’Argentiere” peak on the Mont Blanc massif, which stands at 3,902 metres.
There have been several deaths this climbing season on the mountain, sparking fears among professional guides that Mont Blanc is fast becoming a tourist “free-for-all”.
Two Belgians were found dead on August 2 and six climbers died between July 15 and 30 — two Irish, two Finns, a German and a French person.
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swam Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
A US climber sparked outrage earlier this month when he tried to climb the mountain with his nine-year-old son and 11-year-old daughter and got caught in an avalanche.
The family escaped uninjured, but video footage of the incident in a spot known as the “Corridor of Death” caused an outcry when it was broadcast in the United States last month.