It is certainly a defining moment for medical science. An eight-year-old girl from England has defeated a rare form of cancer. The girl, Claudia Burkill, from Lincolnshire in England was diagnosed with the rare form of cancer, an unserviceable brain tumour.
Claudia was diagnosed with Metastatic PineoBlastoma, a rare and very belligerent form of brain tumour, in June 2011. She was just five years old when the doctors on four different occasions told her that she would succumb to her disease.
She was told that the disease was terminal and incurable. Following the medical reports, she underwent a number of treatments, including Italian treatment called ‘The Milan Protocol’ which involves a high dose sessions of chemotherapy, a procedure that is never administered to perform in a child of her age.
Her parents also started a number of charity events to even out the funds required for the treatment; they even launched a Facebook page to chart out the funds. This was very instrumental in raising the money for brain tumour research. In October 2013, Claudia’s Cause raised £100,000 in just 13 days for the Children’s Brain Tumour Research Centre at The University of Nottingham.
Been given only six weeks to live by doctors once, Claudia now has been given the ‘all clear’, according to a Facebook page set up by her mother.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Her family received the astounding news in a phone call on Saturday night, exactly three years after mum Andrea first called health advice service NHS Direct over Claudia’s health.
Claudia has been through more than 40 sessions of radiotherapy and has lost both her speech and her sight. Metastatic PineoBlastoma is extremely rare and medics only see around two or three cases a year in the UK. (With Agency inputs)