Britain is to announce moves towards reopening its embassy in Tehran, the BBC said on Tuesday, as the West steps up its engagement with Iran amid rapid jihadist advances in neighbouring Iraq.
The Foreign Office declined to comment on the reports but said Foreign Secretary William Hague would make a statement in the House of Commons at 0400 IST.
The reported move comes as jihadists from the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) advance on the Iraqi capital Baghdad after a week-long offensive which has seen them make gains, including taking the second city of Mosul.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
The United States, which is considering drone strikes, and Iran briefly discussed the crisis on the sidelines of nuclear talks in Vienna yesterday as the historic foes mulled their “shared interest” in preventing Sunni insurgents from gaining a foothold in Iraq.
Britain closed its embassy in Tehran in 2011 after it was stormed by a mob and suspended full diplomatic relations.
It appointed a non-resident charge d’affaires to Iran in November, restoring direct diplomatic contacts.
It is expected to announce moves today that would eventually lead to the reopening of the embassy in Tehran.