Britain is to announce moves towards reopening its embassy in Tehran, the BBC said on Tuesday, as the West steps up its engagement with Iran amid rapid jihadist advances in neighbouring Iraq.
The Foreign Office declined to comment on the reports but said Foreign Secretary William Hague would make a statement in the House of Commons at 0400 IST.
The reported move comes as jihadists from the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) advance on the Iraqi capital Baghdad after a week-long offensive which has seen them make gains, including taking the second city of Mosul.
The United States, which is considering drone strikes, and Iran briefly discussed the crisis on the sidelines of nuclear talks in Vienna yesterday as the historic foes mulled their “shared interest” in preventing Sunni insurgents from gaining a foothold in Iraq.
Britain closed its embassy in Tehran in 2011 after it was stormed by a mob and suspended full diplomatic relations.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
It appointed a non-resident charge d’affaires to Iran in November, restoring direct diplomatic contacts.
It is expected to announce moves today that would eventually lead to the reopening of the embassy in Tehran.