A meeting of the Ukraine Contact Group in Minsk on Monday should discuss an immediate and unconditional ceasefire, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said. “I am very much counting upon the negotiations set for today, to above all focus on agreeing an immediate and unconditional ceasefire,” he said a meeting with university students according to Russian news agencies.
Representatives of Kiev, Moscow and the OSCE are to meet on Monday in Minsk, but it was unclear if representatives of pro-Russian separatists would attend. Lavrov was highly sceptical of the peace plan of Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko.
“We need to sit down and talk, and not insist upon unrealistic demands that the rebels give up their weapons and let themselves be killed,” he said while meeting with students of the Moscow State Institute of International Relations. “That is all what Petro Alexeyevich Poroshenko’s peace plan is driving at.”
Lavrov also said that from Russia “there will be no military intervention (in Ukraine), we are for an exclusively peaceful resolution of that most serious crisis, that tragedy.”
Last week Kiev and the West accused Moscow of having intervened directly in the fighting amid growing signs that Russian troops were helping separatists stage a lightning counter-offensive that has thrown Ukrainian troops back.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
NATO accused Russia of having more than 1,000 of its troops deployed in Ukraine and 20,000 massed on the border. Russia has repeatedly denied that its troops are directly involved in the conflict and that it has supplied the rebels.