The police chief of Pakistan’s southern Sindh province on Monday ordered for security to be beefed up in areas inhabited by members of the minority Hindu community following tensions over alleged desecration of a holy book.
The orders came after a Hindu temple and a dharmashala were set on fire on Saturday night by a frenzied mob in Larkana city, the hometown of the Bhutto family and the stronghold of the Pakistan People’s Party.
The incident took place over alleged desecration of a holy book, marring Holi celebrations and prompting authorities to impose a curfew in the area.
The mob surrounded the house of a Hindu man accused of burning the pages of the holy book, prompting police to fire warning shots and teargas shells. In his directives, Sindh Inspector General Iqbal Mahmood ordered special measures to be adopted for security of all
temples as well as community halls and other facilities frequented by members of the Hindu community across the province.
The Sindh police chief said no complacency could be allowed in providing protection to members of the community in particular and the public in general.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
He also ordered coordinated patrolling and snap checking to be adopted as essential components of the security plan developed for areas across the province.
Mahmood said security must also be immediately strengthened across the board at all mosques, imambargahs, seminaries, mausoleums and other sensitive buildings, including government installations, educational institutions managed by missionaries and public places.