Nearly 20,000 soldiers from the Chinese army commenced a 100-day artillery exercise, one of the longest peace time drills, to improve the fighting capacity of the world’s largest military. The People’s Liberation Army began the 100-day exercise, codenamed “Firepower 2104” on Sunday, state-run Xinhua news agency said.
The destruction capacity of artillery is vital to winning modern battles and confrontation manoeuvres of this kind improve fighting capacity, said Yu Chao, President of the institute in charge of the exercise. The 2.3 million-strong world’s largest army is constantly under training in recent years as China faces tensions over disputed islands with Japan and South East Asian neighbours
over the South China Sea. Beijing also faces US military push into Asia-Pacific in a big way.
Chinese President Xi Jinping who also heads the military has been emphasising on constant training of all wings of the armed forces ever since he took over power last year. Six artillery brigades from the Shenyang, Beijing, Jinan, Nanjing, and Guangzhou military area commands and the Nanjing Institute of Artillery Corps are taking part in the drills.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
The exercise will involve almost 1,000 pieces of major weaponry, the report said. The first stage of the exercise will be conducted at the Nanjing Institute of Artillery Corps and focus on command of the troops.
The second stage will focus on tactical manoeuvres and will be conducted in unfamiliar terrains in northeast, north, and northwest China, it said.