Pakistan army launches ground offensive in North Waziristan
Pakistan army Monday launched ground operation in North Waziristan tribal region, beginning a new phase in its major offensive against Taliban militants.
“After the evacuation of all civil population, ground operation commenced in and around Miranshah early Monday morning,” military spokesman Maj Gen Asim Saleem Bajwa said.
He said house-to-house search of the Miranshah town is being carried out by troops and special service group.
“So far 15 terrorists have been killed in ground offensive. Troops have recovered underground tunnels and IEDs preparation factories inside the, so far, cleared area,” he said. Three soldiers were injured in exchange of fire.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Meanwhile, integrated fire of artillery, tanks and other heavy weapons was moving towards terrorists concentrations in Mirali and other areas.
Cordon is in place at other areas housing terrorists.
Bajwa said since start of operation ZarbeAzb on 15 June, 376 terrorists have been killed while 19 others surrendered.
At least 61 terrorists hideouts have been destroyed in the last 15 days.
Bajwa said 17 soldiers were also killed in the operation.
He said that relief activities were also going on to help the displaced people.