Pakistan military on Tuesday carried out air strikes targeting militant hideouts in the country’s tribal region of North and South Waziristan. At least 30 terrorists were killed on Tuesday when Pakistani fighter jets carried out air strikes on militant hideouts in Shawal valley, a mountainous area in North Waziristan sharing boundary with South Waziristan, and other areas of the restive northwest tribal region. The security sources said a number of terrorists’ hideouts have been completely destroyed.
“Some 30 terrorists were killed in early morning air strikes on terrorists’ hideouts in Pray ghar and Razan Nala areas of Pasht Ziarat in Shawal valley on the boundary of North and South Wazirastan agencies,” a security source said. He added that simultaneous strikes were also carried out in Ghariom village in North Waziristan. The air strikes mainly took place in Datta Khel and Shawal areas of North Waziristan where militant training facilities and compounds are said to be located.
It is said the militants had captured a stretch between South and North Waziristan and had established training centers where they were also preparing suicide bombers. The air strikes are part of military’s new strategy to launch intelligence based limited operations. The continuous air strikes in various parts of the tribal areas since last week have led to feeling that a full-fledged military operation against the militants could begin soon.
Thousands of people have started fleeing the region. The government was forced to suspend peace dialogue with the Taliban and go in for air strikes following the beheading of 23 Frontier Corps personnel. The government has maintained that it is still for solution through talks and have demanded that the Taliban announce a ceasefire. Advisor to Prime Minister on Foreign Affairs and National Security Sartaj Aziz has said consultation on military operation in North Waziristan was underway.
However, he has stressed that dialogue option with the Taliban has not yet been discarded.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016