Military clashes between China and Japan cannot be ruled out and the People’s Liberation Army will fight back if provoked, a top Chinese official said on Monday.
“At present we cannot completely rule out the possibility of clashes in East Asia, but it is not decided by China,” said Qian Lihua, a member of China’s top political advisory body, the National Committee of the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference.
The Chinese army will not stir up a war but will fight back against any provocation, Qian, a major general who used to head the foreign affairs office under the Ministry of National Defence, was quoted by state-run Xinhua news agency as saying.
His comments came amid reports that Japan is forming a new amphibious force to deal with any invasion of the islands held by it in the East China Sea.
China and Japan are at loggerheads over the disputed Senkaku/Diaoyu islands and relations between the two countries have steadily deteriorated in recent months.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Qian said it is impossible and impractical for Japan’s right-wing forces or militarism forces to cause big trouble, chaos, conflicts and even wars against China as the country was not in the same situation as in 1894 or in the 1930s, when Japan waged two wars against China.
“The Chinese army and the Chinese people are capable of containing the development of Japan’s militarism and will prevent them from making trouble around China,” Qian added.
China will make efforts to control risk, prevent conflict escalation and try to bring the China-Japan relation back on the right track, he said.
No country wants to have wars considering the current economic difficulties. “If there is a war, it will only damage the hard-earned economic recovery,” Qian said.