Malaysia’s navy has fought off a pirate attack on a tanker off its east coast in the South China Sea, the International Maritime Bureau said on Sunday. The Malaysian force was assisted by the Indonesian and ingaporean navies in fending off the attack late yesterday, said Noel Choong, head of the IMB’s Kuala Lumpur-based Piracy Reporting Centre.
The pirates fled the Singapore-managed tanker after navy patrol boats arrived before they could loot the vessel, the international body said. “The Malaysian navy quickly dispatched a patrol boat and managed to intercept the tanker. Pirates managed to escape before the arrival of the naval boat,” the IMB said in a report.
It added that the crew and cargo were safe, but gave no further details about the tanker or the pirates. There has been a spate of pirate attacks recently in waters off Indonesia, Singapore and Malaysia. The United Nations warned on Thursday that Southeast Asia has become the world’s piracy hotspot, after an international clampdown slashed the number of hijackings off the coast of war-torn Somalia.
Attacks in Southeast Asia topped 150 last year after starting an upward trend since 2010, the UN Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) said in a report. Piracy reports in the region had steadily dropped in previous years following stepped-up patrols and cooperation between neighbouring countries to secure waterways.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More