A second Indian national was today jailed for 15 weeks for his involvement in Singapore’s worst riots in 40 years. Singaravelu Vignesh, 23, was jailed for failing to disperse when ordered to by the police during December 8 riot
in Little India, a precinct of Indian-origin businesses.
He was sentenced under an amended charge of “continuing in an assembly after it had been ordered to disperse”. After less than an hour of deliberation, deputy chief district judge S Jennifer Marie sentenced Singaravelu to 15 weeks in prison with effect from his arrest date on December 8, The Straits Times reported.
Singaravelu was originally accused of rioting and faced a jail term of up to seven years and caning. Singaravelu, along with fellow construction worker, Chinnappa Vijayaragunatha Poopathi, have been convicted under an amended charge. Chinnappa, 32, was the first to be jailed for 15 weeks under the amended charge earlier this month.
Twenty-three other Indian nationals are now facing court charges for rioting in Little India which left 43 officers
injured and 24 vehicles damaged or destroyed. Some 400 migrant workers from South Asia rioted after an Indian national died in a bus accident on December 8, 2013.
Fifty two Indians and a Bangladeshi have been deported for their role in the rioting. Singapore previously witnessed violence of such scale during race riots in 1969.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More