Rescuers were searching on Monday for 11 crew members of a cargo vessel that sank after colliding with a container ship in waters near Hong Kong.
One crew member, a 47-year-old man, has been rescued by a fishing vessel following the accident, which occurred before dawn on Monday in waters south of the southern Chinese city, Marine Department spokeswoman Heidi Cheng said.
The 97-meter (320-foot) Zhong Xin 2, carrying cement and registered in mainland China, is suspected to have sunk after colliding with the 300-meter (985-foot) MOL Motivator, she said.
One helicopter and eight marine police and fire department boats from Hong Kong are helping with the search and rescue effort, which is being coordinated by a command center in Guangdong province on the mainland.
Hong Kong’s waterways are frequently crowded with sampans, commuter ferries and cruise ships as well as massive container vessels serving the city’s busy port. The city suffered its biggest maritime tragedy in decades two years ago when a ferry collided with a smaller boat, leaving 39 dead and 100 injured.
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews