China has flown warplanes on to and from a civilian road for the first time, state media said on Monady, a technique which could be used for “emergency landings during wartime”.
An image of a fighter jet taking off from a motorway in the central province of Henan — with a petrol station in the background — appeared in the state-run Global Times newspaper.
China’s airforce “test-flew warplanes using highways for take-offs and landings” to enhance “the air force’s capabilities of emergency landing and coordination between military and civilian forces”, the report said.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Following the manoeuvre yesterday, news agency Xinhua said that the road can be used by cargo planes and as an “alternative airport” for civilian aircraft.
It indirectly quoted a senior military officer as saying it “can also be used in exercises and training for military air planes as well as emergency landings during wartime”.
China — the world’s second largest military spender — in March announced the latest of many double-digit rises in its official defence budget. Beijing is embroiled in a series of territorial disputes with its neighbours and deploys troops to its restive regions of Tibet and Xinjiang.