China has flown warplanes on to and from a civilian road for the first time, state media said on Monady, a technique which could be used for “emergency landings during wartime”.
An image of a fighter jet taking off from a motorway in the central province of Henan — with a petrol station in the background — appeared in the state-run Global Times newspaper.
China’s airforce “test-flew warplanes using highways for take-offs and landings” to enhance “the air force’s capabilities of emergency landing and coordination between military and civilian forces”, the report said.
Following the manoeuvre yesterday, news agency Xinhua said that the road can be used by cargo planes and as an “alternative airport” for civilian aircraft.
It indirectly quoted a senior military officer as saying it “can also be used in exercises and training for military air planes as well as emergency landings during wartime”.
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
China — the world’s second largest military spender — in March announced the latest of many double-digit rises in its official defence budget. Beijing is embroiled in a series of territorial disputes with its neighbours and deploys troops to its restive regions of Tibet and Xinjiang.