China plans to launch a cargo ship into space in 2016 to serve the Tiangong-2 space laboratory which is currently in orbit, a Chinese space scientist said on Sunday.
The cargo ship, named “Tianzhou” or “Heavenly Vessel” in Chinese, will be delivered by the newly-developed Long March-7 carrier rocket and dock with Tiangong-2 automatically, Zhou Jianping, chief designer of China’s manned space program, told
state-run Xinhua news agency.
Cargo transportation system that supplies goods and propellants is a key technology China must master to build its own space station, he said. Tiangong-1, China’s first space lab and target orbiter, was sent to orbit on September 29, 2011.
China is expected to launch the Tiangong-2 space lab around 2015. “A manned spaceship has limited transportation capacity and costs highly,” Zhou said ahead of the annual session of the advisory body, which is scheduled to open on Monday.
“A cargo ship will not return to the earth and does not need to carry people in its launching and docking processes,which makes its transportation of goods more economical and efficient,” he said.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
The Tianzhou cargo ship can send supplies to the space station, including propellants, living necessities for astronauts and equipment for scientific research. It can destroy various wasted materials, he said. It can also send large-sized facilities and equipment for the construction of the space station, he added.
Three cabin structures are being designed for the Tianzhou cargo ship, a fully-enclosed one, a semi-open one and a wholly-open one, he said. The loading capacity of the cargo ship will reach the world-class level and will be even better than some developed countries, he said.
Researchers are busy developing the Long March-7 carrier rocket, which has a new-generation engine and uses harmless propellants. It has a carrying capacity of more than 13 tonnes, he said.