Chinese authorities are investigating two Canadians citizens on suspicion of stealing state secrets about China’s military and national defense research, state media said.
The official Xinhua News Agency said in a one-paragraph report late Monday that Kevin Garratt and Julia Dawn Garratt were being investigated by the state security bureau in China’s northeastern city of Dandong that borders North Korea. Xinhua did not provide further details. The offense of stealing state secrets is a serious crime in China.
The Canadian newspaper ‘The Globe’ and ‘Mail’ said the Garratts are a Vancouver couple who have lived in China since 1984 and have run a popular coffee shop in Dandong since 2008.
The accusations against the couple came nearly a week after Canada accused a China-sponsored hacker of infiltrating Canada’s National Research Council, the country’s top research and development organization.
China’s Foreign Ministry expressed strong displeasure over the allegation, urging Canada to withdraw the “groundless” accusation. Canada’s foreign affairs department said it was aware of reports that the two Canadians had been detained and was trying get more information. The department said consular officials were ready to provide assistance.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016