China has displayed its nuclear submarines for the first time in over four decades to showcase their “excellent safety” record as part of a naval drill.
The submarines were shown as taking part in exercises along with naval ships and helicopters.
The drill is the first open-sea drill in which maritime and air forces from all three of China’s fleets have taken part,state-run Xinhua news agency reported on Monday.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
“We are China’s first nuclear submarine force,and the 42 years since our establishment have witnessed our success in avoiding nuclear accidents,” Rear Admiral Gao Feng,commander of one of the People’s Liberation Army navy’s submarine bases,told reporters in Qingdao port.
While state television has shown the footage of the submarines taking part in the exercises,which according to the official media is the first time in 42 years ever since it began inducting nuclear submarines in the fleet,the print media highlighted its safety track with no accident record.
The exercises in the west Pacific went on “despite foreign disturbance”,the People’s Liberation Army said.
Foreign military vessels and reconnaissance aircraft,reportedly from Japan and US remained in the exercise area for an undue time monitoring Chinese activity in the close distance and seriously disturbing the naval drill,reports said.
Chinese authorities had previously publicised the exercise areas via international maritime organisations in accordance with international practice,alerting foreign vessels and planes to take precautions.
Though the media has not revealed the numbers of nuclear subs,international defence experts estimate it has eight to 10 subs backed by 50 to 60 diesel and electric submarines.
The strength of the Chinese navy was estimated to be around 2.25 lakh personnel.
The decision to display N-Subs for the first time shows China’s confidence in the defence build-up and capability,defence analysts said. It also demonstrates the transparency of China’s nuclear assets,which the west is demonstrating for long,they said.
Handling the nuclear submarines equipped with nuclear weapons is a tremendous achievement because almost all of the other naval powers in the world,including the US and Russia,have had nuclear accidents on nuclear submarines,Gao said.