Chinese prosecutors have detained 11 people over a massive warehouse explosion that killed at least 139 people.
The national prosecutor’s office said in a notice on Thursday that those held include current and retired officials in the port city of Tianjin, along with others working for the company that runs the port, the largest in northern China.
- Blast on truck carrying explosives in northern China kills seven
- China: Blast rocks Tianjin port city two months after fatal explosions
- Toxic chemical levels high in Chinese city hit by blast
- Tianjin tragedy: China clearing blast site, military checking storage
- Tianjin explosion: China blast disrupts world’s 10th largest port
- China explosion: 9 firefighters among 44 dead in Tianjin port blast
It says they are accused of dereliction of duty and abusing their positions.
The investigation has so far focused on how the warehouse’s owner, Ruihai Logistics, was able to gain permission to handle dangerous chemicals despite being located inside a legally-mandated 1,000-meter (1,000-yard) buffer zone from homes and roads.
Police have already detained 12 Ruihai employees as part of their investigation and are also looking into a company suspected of providing bogus safety assessments.