Vietnam plans to build 32 new coastal patrol vessels, boosting its maritime muscle and surveillance capacities amid an increasingly tense territorial dispute in the South China Sea with its far larger neighbour China.
Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung said the government would spend USD 540 million on the new coast guard and fishery patrol vessels.
The decision was made on Thurdsday, according to a government statement released later the same day.
Vietnam and China have sparred for years over who owns what in the South China Sea but tensions escalated sharply in early May when Beijing deployed a large oil rig near the disputed Paracel islands.
Hanoi protested the deployment and has sent coastal patrol ships to try and shoo away the rig, which is protected by a large flotilla of Chinese ships. The ships have been unable to get close to the rig, and several have been damaged in collisions with larger, stronger Chinese vessels.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
The Vietnam government says it hasn’t deployed navy vessels anywhere near the rig.