A suicide car bomber attacked a NATO convoy traveling through a crowded neighborhood in Afghanistan’s capital Saturday, killing at least 10 people, including three foreign contractors, authorities said.
The attack struck near the private Shinozada hospital in the capital’s Macrorayan neighborhood, the sound of the powerful blast roaring throughout the capital.
The bombing killed at least nine Afghan civilians and one foreigner and wounded 60, said Wahidullah Mayar, a Health Ministry spokesman. U.S. Col. Brian Tribus, a NATO spokesman, said the three contractors had been killed, without elaborating.
Conflicting information is common after such attacks.
- Afghanistan blast: 16 killed, 38 wounded in southern Kandahar province
- Kabul: Suicide bomber strikes in Afghanistan capital, 48 killed
- Suicide bomber kills at least 29 near shrine in Afghan capital
- Afghanistan blast: Suicide bomb in Kabul kills young girl, wounds 15
- Two killed, seven injured in suicide bomb blast in Kabul
- Kabul blast: At least 95 dead, over 150 injured in explosion; Taliban claims responsibility for attack
Najib Danish, a deputy Interior Ministry spokesman, said the attack destroyed more than a dozen of civilian vehicles.
No group immediately claimed responsibility for the attack, though the Taliban has stepped up its assaults on Afghan security forces since U.S. and NATO troops ended their combat mission in the country last year. The militants also have launched a series of attacks in Kabul in recent weeks following Afghan authorities announcing the death of Taliban figurehead Mullah Mohammad Omar.