Philippine troops, 40 Muslim rebels killed, Philippine military, Islamic Freedom Movement fighters, Philippine Islamic rebels, Islamic fighters, Philippine, World news
Philippine troops have killed at least 40 Islamic fighters and captured a rebel stronghold with a bomb-making facility in a two-day offensive against insurgents opposed to a new peace deal, military officials said on Thursday.
President Benigno Aquino III said the military launched the assault to protect villages after Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Movement fighters staged attacks in southern Maguindanao province. Troops were aiming “to seriously degrade their abilities to again act as spoilers,” Aquino told reporters.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
The rebels involved in the fighting have opposed peace talks between the government and the larger Moro Islamic Liberation Front, which were concluded over the weekend in Malaysia. They have promised to continue their uprising because the Malaysian-brokered talks would not lead to a separate homeland for minority Muslims in the south.
Regional military spokesman Col Dickson Hermoso said 12 of the slain rebels have been identified with the help of village leaders, while others were found buried in graves in and near Ganta village in Maguindanao.
The fighting left one soldier dead and 12 others wounded by bombs hidden around a mosque and by rebel mortar fire, Hermoso said.
After two days of attacks, army troops captured a key rebel stronghold today that spanned two villages in a swampy mountain foothill in Maguindanao where the insurgents made bombs and carried out combat training. Several bombs and materials for making explosives were seized by troops, Hermoso said.
“It’s like a bomb factory,” Hermoso said. “We don’t negotiate with groups like this who threaten innocent civilians. We run after them to enforce the law.”
The offensive, which was supposed to end today, would be extended up to Saturday as troops pursue the retreating rebels, who have split into smaller groups, he said.
Rebel spokesman Abu Misry disputed the military report, saying there have been no deaths and only seven insurgents had been
wounded in army shelling and helicopter rocket fire.
About 10,000 villagers have fled the fighting, which underscored the difficulty of ending violence in the country’s south.
Aside from the main Moro rebel group that concluded negotiations Saturday with the government for a new Muslim autonomy deal in the south, at least four other smaller insurgent groups threaten the peace in the region.
Those groups include the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Movement and the smaller but more brutal Abu Sayyaf, which is
notorious for bombings, kidnappings for ransom and beheadings