An accidental explosion ripped through an armory in central China and killed 17 soldiers while they were stacking ammunition, state media said on Wednesday. The blast took place Tuesday afternoon in the Hunan province city of Hengyang and its cause was under investigation, the official Xinhua News Agency said.
A Hengyang city policewoman surnamed Xiao, confirmed the accident on Wednesday and said no civilians were injured. The armory is in a rural township on the outskirts of Hengyang.
China’s military operates with a high degree of secrecy and information about explosions, plane crashes and other accidents is usually tightly controlled.
With 2.3 million members, China’s military is the world’s largest. It has enjoyed massive upgrades to equipment and living conditions for soldiers, fueled by two decades of soaring defense spending. Despite that, conditions for much of the sprawling land-based forces remain basic and oversight is often lax.
While the explosion was called an accident, Chinese security forces have come under attack in recent years from Islamic extremists fighting for independence for the northwestern region of Xinjiang.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016