At least 14 people were killed and seven others injured on Thursday when a passenger bus veered off a mountain highway and fell some 500 metres into a river.
The bus, carrying 21 people, was en route to Bhirahawa from Pokhara when it skidded off the Siddhartha Highway in Palpa district and fell into the Bhalukhola river at around 2 am (local time).
All the deceased are men and their identities are yet to be established, Palpa DSP Shiva Shrestha said.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
“The bus might have lost control of the vehicle after the driver dozed off at the steering wheel leading to the accident,” he said.
Shrestha said 12 people died on the spot and two others succumbed to injuries while undergoing treatment. The bus driver and bus owner were also killed in the mishap.
At least seven persons, including two women, were injured in the accident. Of them, four are undergoing treatment at Mission Hospital, Bhusaldanda while others are being treated at Lumbini Teaching Hospital of the district, The Himalayan Times reported.
Locals, police and army personnel are carrying out the rescue operation at the site of the accident.