A Taliban suicide bomber blew himself up near the Pakistan Army headquarters in the garrison city of Rawalpindi Monday, killing 13 people, including six soldiers, a day after a blast inside a cantonment killed 20 troops.
The bomber, who was riding a cycle, detonated his explosives after being intercepted by soldiers in Royal Artillery Bazar, which is very close to the army’s General Headquarters and other important military buildings. Twenty-four others were wounded in the attack. Witnesses said two students wearing uniforms were among the dead.
The market, a short walk from the army headquarters, is located in one of the most secure areas of Rawalpindi, said city police chief Akhtar Hayat Lalika.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
The blast came on a day when Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif had convened a special cabinet meeting to approve a draft National Security Policy with measures to tackle terrorism.
On Sunday, a blast within the cantonment of Bannu city in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province killed 20 troops and injured 30, prompting Sharif to cancel his visit to Davos, Switzerland, for the World Economic Forum.
Soon after Monday’s blast, army chief Gen Raheel Sharif and the premier spoke on the phone.
The banned Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan claimed responsibility for the attack, with spokesman Shahidullah Shahid saying it was carried out in response to military operations in the tribal areas and the killing of the group’s deputy chief, Waliur Rehman, in a US drone strike last year.
All the injured were taken to various hospitals, including the Combined Military Hospital.
According to police, the suicide bomber was aged between 18 and 20 years and his vest was packed with an estimated 10 kg of explosives.
The blast shattered windows of buildings in the area. Security was put on high alert as the area has key installations like the army-run National Logistics Cell and Armed Forces Institute of Cardiology, where former military ruler Pervez Musharraf was admitted with heart problems earlier this month.
President Mamnoon Hussain and Muttahida Qaumi Movement chief Altaf Hussain condemned the blast. Sunday’s attack in Bannu too was claimed by the Taliban, which said its onslaught on security forces would continue.