A 111-year-old retired Japanese educator who enjoys poetry has been recognized as the world’s oldest living man.
Sakari Momoi received a certificate from Guinness World Records at a ceremony Wednesday. He succeeds Alexander Imich of New York, who died in June at the age of 111 years, 164 days.
The world’s oldest living person is also Japanese: Misao Okawa, a 116-year-old woman from Osaka.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
Momoi was born Feb. 5, 1903, in Fukushima prefecture, where he became a teacher. He moved to the city of Saitama, north of Tokyo, after World War II and served as a high school principal there until retirement.
At the televised ceremony, Momoi wore a dark suit and silver tie, with his white hair neatly combed back. He stood up from his wheelchair and moved to a chair next to it with little assistance.
Asked how he felt about the record, Momoi pushed his back upright and said he wants to live longer.
“Say, another two years,” he said.
Momoi, who said he enjoys reading books, especially Chinese poetry, has five children and lives at a nursing home in Tokyo.