A woman accused of slashing the corpse of her boyfriend’s ex-girlfriend at a funeral home last month is now accused of removing body parts of the deceased woman.
Prosecutors added a fourth felony charge against 26-year-old Shaynna Sims on Thursday, accusing her of removing both breasts and a toe of the deceased woman during a viewing at a funeral home in Tulsa. If convicted, she could face up to five years in prison.
- Woman killed in Uttar Pradesh over illicit relationship suspicion
- Thane rape-murder: Previous crime helped police nab accused
- Unclaimed bodies pile up as payments wither, overdoses rise in US
- Delhi photographer murder: Everything you need to know
- Communal tension in West Delhi area after man held for killing daughter’s friend: Cops
- Bangladeshi man held for uploading private photos of ex-girlfriend
Sims was arrested at the dead woman’s apartment after she attended the viewing on April 30. Police said Sims also stole the dead woman’s shoes and was carrying a knife with the woman’s hair attached to it.
Witnesses told officers they saw Sims reach into the casket during the viewing. The dead woman’s face was found slashed from her hairline to the tip of her nose, her makeup was smeared and her hair was on the floor, police said. The additional mutilation of the woman’s body was discovered as it was being prepared for cremation.
“We don’t have anything that she has openly said to anyone as to why she did it,” Tulsa Police Sgt. Shane Tuell said Friday. “At this point, we don’t know what her motivation was.”
Sims has been free on bond, and neither she nor her attorney returned phone messages seeking comment Friday on the allegations. A phone number listed for the deceased woman’s family rang unanswered.
Prosecutors said they planned to ask a judge Monday that her bond be increased in light of the new charge, unlawful removal of body part from deceased. A spokeswoman at the district attorney’s office said prosecutors have not asked for a specific bond amount yet.