US officials say the first of two American warships heading into the Black Sea in advance of the Olympic Games has sailed from Italy. In another sign of US efforts to protect Americans at the Winter Games, the FBI says at least two dozen agents are going to Sochi, Russia.
Islamic militants have threatened to derail the Winter Games, which run from February 7-23.
The USS Mount Whitney got underway on Friday from Gaeta, Italy, and the Navy frigate USS Taylor is expected to leave from Naples, Italy on Saturday.
The officials spoke about the warships on condition of anonymity because they are not authorised to publicly disclose ship movements.
FBI Director James Comey told reporters in New Mexico yesterday that the FBI is in constant contact with Russian authorities as the Games approach. Comey says he spoke earlier in the day to the head of the Russian Federal Security Service.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Comey says Russian authorities face a serious threat and he wants the FBI to be ready to help.
Russian and US defense officials, including Pentagon chief Chuck Hagel, have discussed the Olympic security threat. The US has offered to help in any way needed, but no specific assistance has been requested.
The Pentagon has said the US warships are deploying to the Black Sea as part of normal military planning and could perform any required missions, including communications or evacuations.