A 16-year-old girl who police say strangled a man during an apparent sex act has been charged as an adult with second-degree murder, authorities said Wednesday.
Jason Ash, 43, was found dead Saturday evening in a Glendale apartment. According to court records, he was discovered lying on his back on a bed with an electrical cord around his neck and cuts to his face, arms and body.
The girl’s mother told police she left her daughter alone in their apartment with Ash, whom she described as a boyfriend of the teenager.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
She said she later received a call from her daughter stating “she thought Jason was dead,” according to a probable-cause statement.
The mother told police her daughter told her the couple was “playing sex games and he was cut on the arms and choked.”
The girl told her mother they often used strangulation and cutting as part of their sexual activity and that “Jason did not say the “safety word,” police wrote in court papers.
The teenage girl was arrested at the scene Saturday. She was charged as an adult on Wednesday and remained jailed.
No attorney was listed for her in court records. A court date is set for next week.
The girl or her mother have not be named to protect the identity of the suspect because she is a minor and was not of legal age to consent to sex with Ash. Sex with a minor is a felony under Arizona law.
“This is more a tragic accident than murder,” said Phoenix-area criminal defense lawyer Julio Laboy, who hasn’t been retained in the case but is aware of the details.
He added that the suspect also appears to be a victim.
“It is not self-defense and it is not reckless as she was being victimized in the moments this action took place presumably by a middle-aged man who held sway over her and took advantage of her age to influence a young girl who can’t consent” to sex, Laboy said.
The probable-cause statement indicates the girl confessed to authorities. During an interview with investigators, she “admitted to causing the death of Jason Ash by consensual strangulation.”
The girl said that “after she strangled Jason with an electrical cord, she began cutting him with a razor blade,” according to police. “The first cut was an attempt to get a response from Jason since he appeared to have passed out … She continued to cut on Jason in order to alleviate her stress from the situation.”