Whistleblower Edward Snowden, United States surveillance, National Security Agency surveillance, US national security, Snowden leaks US security documents, United states intel sources, United states, World news
United States has lost critical foreign intelligence collection sources as a result of the unauthorised leaks by whistleblower Edward Snowden, a top American intelligence official has said.
“What Snowden has stolen and exposed has gone way, way beyond his professed concerns with so-called domestic surveillance programmes.
“As a result, we’ve lost critical foreign intelligence collections sources, including some shared with us by valued partners,” Director of National Intelligence, James Clapper said during a Congressional hearing.
“Terrorists and other adversaries of this country are going to school on US intelligence sources, methods and trade craft. And the insights that they are gaining are making our jobs much, much harder,” he said adding that this includes putting the lives of members or assets of the intelligence community at risk, as well as our armed forces, diplomats and our citizens.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
As a result of the Snowden leaks, Clapper said the US is beginning to see changes in communications behaviour of adversaries, particularly terrorists, a disturbing trend that he anticipate will continue.
“Snowden, for his part, claims that he’s won and that his mission is accomplished. If that’s so, I call on him and his accomplices to facilitate the return of the remaining stolen documents that have not yet been exposed to prevent even more damage to US security,” he said adding that the leaks have done profound damage to the national security.
Clapper said that some of the recent aggressive behaviour by Russia might be due to the documents it has received from Snowden.
“It would be completely out of character, having observed the Soviet and now Russian security services in my 50 years of intelligence, and they are very capable and very aggressive.
So, it’s beyond belief to me that they wouldn’t be taking advantage of the opportunity both to exploit and to control Snowden,” Clapper said.
Congressman Peter King rued that some media have tried to glorify Snowden.
“I think, a very distorted version of him to the American people who somehow think he’s some kind of a whistleblower rather than what I would say he’s a person who has sold his country and put Americans in terrible danger throughout the world,” he said.
Defense Intelligence Agency Director Michael Flynn told lawmakers that Snowden could be under Russian influence.
“Yes, there is a possibility that he is under that (Russian influence),” she said when asked about it.