The US and India are eager to move forward with high-level dialogues and exchanges soon to further their “indispensable” partnership, Secretary of State John Kerry said Sunday, as he extended Republic Day greeting to Indians.
Kerry, who met External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid in Swiss city Montreauex last week, sought to end the row over the arrest of Indian diplomat Devyani Khobragade as the two leaders committed to move forward bilateral ties. “When I spoke with External Affairs Minister Khurshid in Montreaux this past week, we agreed that both our peoples benefit when the world’s largest and oldest democracies work closely together,” Kerry said in a message.
“Khurshid and I affirmed that we are eager to move forward with our high-level dialogues and exchanges soon, and that our countries remain firmly committed to the indispensable US-India partnership,” he said. Greeting India on the Republic Day on behalf of President Barack Obama, Kerry said the real magic of India lies as much in its promising future as it does in its rich heritage. “I’ll never forget my first visit to India nearly 20 years ago on a United States Senate Congressional trade delegation. The dynamism I saw then continues today. India is a country on the move,” Kerry said.
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
- 24 Maoists Killed In Encounter In Odisha
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
“Beneath all the changes and what really binds our nations and our peoples together is our shared commitment to a strong and vibrant democratic heritage,” he said. “India’s transition to democratic independence andemergence on the world stage was one of the great success stories of the 20th century. On Sunday, it is an inspiration for so many young democracies,” Kerry added. Indian diplomat Khobragade was arrested on December 12 on visa fraud charges, strip-searched and held with criminals, triggering a row between the two countries with India retaliating by downgrading privileges of certain category of US diplomats among other steps. The Energy Dialogue – initially scheduled for earlier this month – was cancelled amidst tension between the two nations.