The US on Wednesday put two new leaders of the Lashkar-e-Toiba on its list of “Specially Designated Global Terrorists” and named Jama’at-ud-Dawa among four aliases of the Lashkar.
The US Treasury Department said in a statement that it had “targeted the financial and leadership networks of Lashkar-e-Tayyiba (LT) by designating Nazir Ahmad Chaudhry (Ahmad) and Muhammad Hussein Gill as Specially Designated Global Terrorists (SDGTs) pursuant to Executive Order (E.O.) 13224”.
According to the Treasury Department, it has now “designated 22 individuals and four entities associated with LT”.
The State Department named Jama’at-ud-Dawa, Al-Anfal Trust, Tehrik-e-Hurmat-e-Rasool and Tehrik-e-Tahafuz Qibla Awwal as front organisations and aliases of Lashkar-e-Toiba, and included them in the list of Foreign Terrorist Organisations (FTO). The Lashkar itself had been designated as an FTO in 2001.
“In targeting Lashkar-e-Tayyiba’s leadership, today’s action demonstrates our unrelenting commitment to combating terrorism by disrupting terrorist groups’ financial activities,” Under Secretary for Terrorism and Financial Intelligence David S Cohen said. “We will continue to target LT’s financial foundation to disrupt and impede its violent activities.”
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
According to Treasury Department, Ahmad has been a senior leader of the Lashkar since the early 2000s, and has served as its vice-president, a member of its central leadership, and as a close aide of the organisation’s overall leader.
“Ahmad directed the group’s public relations department for at least ten years and, as of 2012, was the head of Lashkar’s information wing. Ahmad has also been a key strategist for the group and has been involved in Lashkar’s operational finance matters,’’ the statement said.
The statement said Gill is a senior member of the Lashkar shura, and was one of the group’s founders. “He has been an accountant for Lashkar for more than ten years and more specifically, has served as Lashkar’s chief financial officer and headed Lashkar’s accounts department for several years. He also has served in Lashkar’s revenue wing and has maintained Lashkar’s expense records,” the statement said.