The US on Wednesday put two new leaders of the Lashkar-e-Toiba on its list of “Specially Designated Global Terrorists” and named Jama’at-ud-Dawa among four aliases of the Lashkar.
The US Treasury Department said in a statement that it had “targeted the financial and leadership networks of Lashkar-e-Tayyiba (LT) by designating Nazir Ahmad Chaudhry (Ahmad) and Muhammad Hussein Gill as Specially Designated Global Terrorists (SDGTs) pursuant to Executive Order (E.O.) 13224”.
According to the Treasury Department, it has now “designated 22 individuals and four entities associated with LT”.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
The State Department named Jama’at-ud-Dawa, Al-Anfal Trust, Tehrik-e-Hurmat-e-Rasool and Tehrik-e-Tahafuz Qibla Awwal as front organisations and aliases of Lashkar-e-Toiba, and included them in the list of Foreign Terrorist Organisations (FTO). The Lashkar itself had been designated as an FTO in 2001.
“In targeting Lashkar-e-Tayyiba’s leadership, today’s action demonstrates our unrelenting commitment to combating terrorism by disrupting terrorist groups’ financial activities,” Under Secretary for Terrorism and Financial Intelligence David S Cohen said. “We will continue to target LT’s financial foundation to disrupt and impede its violent activities.”
According to Treasury Department, Ahmad has been a senior leader of the Lashkar since the early 2000s, and has served as its vice-president, a member of its central leadership, and as a close aide of the organisation’s overall leader.
“Ahmad directed the group’s public relations department for at least ten years and, as of 2012, was the head of Lashkar’s information wing. Ahmad has also been a key strategist for the group and has been involved in Lashkar’s operational finance matters,’’ the statement said.
The statement said Gill is a senior member of the Lashkar shura, and was one of the group’s founders. “He has been an accountant for Lashkar for more than ten years and more specifically, has served as Lashkar’s chief financial officer and headed Lashkar’s accounts department for several years. He also has served in Lashkar’s revenue wing and has maintained Lashkar’s expense records,” the statement said.