The Obama administration has ordered tighter security measures at certain overseas airports which have direct flights to the United States. Making an announcement in this regard, the Homeland Security Secretary, Jeh Johnson did not list out such airports, but news reports said such a decision has been taken in view of the declaration of Islamic Caliphate by Islamic militants, who have gained control over parts of Syria and Iraq.
From India, New Delhi and Mumbai are the two airports having direct flights to the US. “I have directed TSA (Transportation Security Administration) to implement enhanced security measures in the coming days at certain overseas airports with direct flights to the United States. We will work to ensure these necessary steps pose as few disruptions to travelers as possible,” Johnson said.
The US is sharing recent and relevant information with its foreign allies and are consulting the aviation industry, the Secretary said. “These communications are an important part of our commitment to providing our security partners with situational awareness about the current environment and protecting the travelling public,” Johnson said. “Aviation security includes a number of measures, both seen and unseen, informed by an evolving environment.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
As always, we will continue to adjust security measures to promote aviation security without unnecessary disruptions to the traveling public,” the Homeland Security Secretary said.
“The threat of foreign fighters is a concern that we share with many counterparts in the world, whether that is Europeans or others in the Western world, where we have seen an increase in foreign fighters who have travelled to Syria and other countries in the region and returning,” State Department Spokesperson, Jen Psaki said.