Alert passengers on board a United Airlines flight averted a potentially dangerous situation when they subdued a young co-passenger started yelling “Jihad! Jihad!” and appeared to threaten a hijacking.
- British Airways Mumbai-London flight diverted to Baku
- Randi Zuckerberg allegation: US flight crews ill-equipped for sexual harassment complaints, say lawmakers
- GoAir flight suffers bird hit, returns to Delhi airport
- IndiGo Airlines passenger attacked: These kinds of barbarous things shouldn't be allowed, says Civil Aviation minister
- Hijack hoax on Jet Airways flight: Plane diverted, NIA called in
- Passenger jet has emergency at California airport
United Flight 1074 bound for Denver returned to Dulles International Airport outside Washington, DC last night after passengers pounced on a man who had yelled “Jihad! Jihad!”, according to comments posted on Reddit.
The flight returned to Dulles at around 10:40 pm after a”disturbance onboard,” New York Daily News quoted Kimberly Gibbs, a spokeswoman for Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority as saying. Gibbs said she did not know what happened on the flight.
The Boeing 737 was carrying 33 passengers and 6 crew. Law enforcement personnel met the aircraft at the gate and detained the passenger and took him to a hospital for evaluation, Gibbs said.
Videos posted to Reddit showed a young man with facial cuts who had been subdued by several passengers after witnesses said he had made a run for the plane’s cockpit. A video posted on YouTube shows the passenger being
subdued and crying, “I’m sorry”, as a voice tells him not to move.preparing to take off again for Denver International Airport.