US President Barack Obama accompanied by Secretary of State John Kerry and Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel will be travelling next week to attend the NATO Summit in Newport, Wales.
Leaders of the NATO countries would respond to Russian actions in Ukraine by providing political and security assistance to Ukraine and by bolstering NATO’s overall reassurance efforts, both in NATO territory and beyond NATO territory, Charles Kupchan, Senior Director for European Affairs, told reporters during a conference call.
“The second (agenda) is to effectively transition from the ISAF mission in Afghanistan to the resolute support mission in Afghanistan. That essentially means that US troops and their partners will be moving from being in a position of leading the fight in active combat kinetic operations to one that is much more focused on advising and training,” he said.
“And then the third overall objective is to advance NATO’s role as a global security hub, building out the partnerships that it has built in Afghanistan, and using new means of training, of institution-building to contribute to security on a very broad basis,” Kupchan said
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
“This hopefully will include support at NATO for engaging in the Iraq and Syrian theater, and potentially for a new NATO
effort in Africa, as well,” Kupchan said.
In Wales, Obama would also hold several bilateral meetings with other leaders, said Caitlin Hayden, spokesperson of the National Security Council.
Prominent among those include the meeting with British Prime Minister David Cameroon.
Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko is also expected to attend the NATO Summit.
“The discussion there will run the full gamut of ways in which the NATO alliance both collectively and individually by its member states can strengthen Ukrainian security,” Kupchan said.
“We will be looking at material support, economic as well as security. We’ll be looking at modernisation projects. We’ll be looking at the ability to do more training, to provide and strengthen cyber defense in Ukraine. In other words, essentially trying to help Ukraine at this difficult moment in its efforts to stand up as a stable democracy,” the White House official said.