UK’S Immigration Minister, tipped as a future Prime Minister, was Saturday forced to resigned after it emerged that his cleaner was working illegally in the country.
Mark Harper tendered his resignation to Prime Minister David Cameron, who accepted it “with regret”. “Although I complied with the law at all times, I consider that as Immigration Minister, who is taking legislation through Parliament which will toughen up our immigration laws, I should hold myself to a higher standard than expected of others,” he wrote in his letter.
He said he had first made checks on his female cleaner in 2007 when she was employed to help with his London flat and again in 2012. Last month, Harper asked his cleaner for further copies but when his private office checked the details with immigration officials, it was found she did not have indefinite leave to stay in the UK.
The Conservative party MP from Forest of Dean was told this on Thursday. Harper said he immediately told UK home secretary Theresa May. “I have always believed politics is a team game, not an individual sport. Under the circumstances, I have therefore decided the right course is for me to return to the backbenches. I am sorry for any embarrassment caused,” he said.
In his response, Cameron wrote: “I am very sorry indeed to see you leave the government, but I understand your reasons for doing so. In particular, I understand your view that, although you carried out checks on your cleaner, you feel that you should hold yourself to an especially high standard as Immigration Minister. You have taken an honourable decision.” Fellow Tory MP James Brokenshire has been appointed new immigration minister. Harper plans to continue in his role as MP.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More