Friday, May 29, 2015

Suspect caught in Canada killings

Authorities had named the 24-year-old Bourque as their suspect after the shootings Wednesday evening in the northwest area of the city.

 A heavily armed man that police have identified as Justin Bourque walks on Hildegard Drive in Moncton. (Source: AP) A heavily armed man that police have identified as Justin Bourque walks on Hildegard Drive in Moncton. (Source: AP)
By: Associated Press | New Brunswick | Published on:June 6, 2014 12:10 pm

residents there were on edge, concerned that Bourque might return home.

“My kids keep asking me, `Did they catch him, did they catch him’,” she said. “It puts me on edge every time they ask.”

Police used air support, tactical teams and canine units. Several hundred officers from New Brunswick and elsewhere from across Canada were involved.

Bourque was wearing military camouflage and carrying two rifles in a picture released by police on Twitter.

At one point on Thursday, he was seen coming in and out of a wooded area, Marlene Snowman, head of the Codaic Regional RCMP, said. “He’s capable of moving into the wooded area and out,” she said.

Police still have not released the identities of the three officers who were killed Wednesday night while responding to a call about an armed man. Two other officers, whose names also were not released, were wounded.

It was the deadliest attack on the Royal Canadian Mounted Police since four officers were killed by a gunman on a farm in the western Canadian province of Alberta in 2005. That attack remains the deadliest on Canadian police officers in 120 years.

Canada’s Parliament on Thursday observed a moment of silence and the flag on Parliament Hill flew at half-mast.

Commanding Officer Roger Brown said the two wounded officers underwent surgery for non-life-threatening injuries Thursday and he met with their families. One was later released from hospital. Police said they were unsure when the released officer would return to the job.

“The RCMP family is hurting. As is Moncton, New Brunswick and our country,” Brown said.

Fitzpatrick, Bourque’s neighbor, said he met Bourque in 2010 when they were both working at the same warehouse. Fitzpatrick hadn’t seen him much since he quit that job two years later, but stopped by Bourque’s place five days ago after hearing he had gotten a new job at a food depot.

“He seemed fine, it was a normal conversation,” Fitzpatrick told The Associated Press on Thursday by phone from his home, where he was on lockdown. Fitzpatrick said Bourque “obviously had things on his mind,” based on a stretch of recent Facebook posts about guns and the police.

“It was never something that we took serious because we actually know him, as friends,” he said.

The three officers were the first Canadian police killed in the line of duty since March 2013, when a police officer in northern Quebec was shot after responding to a domestic violence call. According to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police website, the last officer to die from a gunshot wound was on Nov. 5, 2007.

Do you like this story