A powerful 7.0 magnitude earthquake struck the south Atlantic ocean 314 kilometres southeast of Stanley,the main city on the Falkland Islands,the US Geological Survey said early on Monday.
The underwater quake struck at 1157 IST at a depth of 10 kilometres in the lightly populated area,the USGS said. The epicentre was also 877 kilometres east of Ushuaia,Argentina,the USGS said.
There were no initial reports of damage or casualties.
The Hawaii-based Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre issued a bulletin stating that,despite the power of the quake,”a destructive widespread tsunami threat does not exist.”
The Tsunami Warning Centre however did say that there was a “small possibility of a local or regional tsunami” that could affect coastlines “located usually no more than a few hundred kilometres from the earthquake epicentre.”
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
The USGS initially said that it was a magnitude 6.6 earthquake,but later revised the quake’s strength.