New York city Mayor Bill de Blasio has said there may be an “ulterior motive” behind the arrest of a New York Police Department officer in India.
“We don’t have enough information to 100 per cent determine if there is an ulterior motive. Obviously, I’m concerned there may be,” he said when asked if the arrest of Manny Encarnacion on charges of carrying bullets in his luggage was “politically motivated”.
New York Congressman Peter King had this week termed Encarnacion’s arrest as being “politically motivated” in a tit-for-tat response to the arrest of Indian diplomat Devyani Khobragade.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
The Mayor said he is concerned about the well-being of Encarnacion, who has been released from prison but is awaiting the next court hearing. “We are very hopeful that will go smoothly and he’ll be able to leave India without further difficulty. But we’re very closely monitoring the situation, working with the State Department, with the American Embassy in India to make sure that he is treated fairly,” de Blasio said.