Ambassador Nancy Powell’s sudden resignation does not indicate any realignment of America’s ties with India, the US has said, asserting there is “no big behind the scenes story” that led her to quit.
“All the rumours and speculation are, quite frankly, totally false. She is retiring, after 37 years – returning home to Delaware by the end of May,” State Department Deputy Spokesperson Marie Harf said. when asked about US envoy Powell’s announcement that she has sent her resignation to President Barack Obama.
“I don’t have further insight into why she chose now, but it’s not at all related to anything happening in the relationship. It doesn’t indicate any realignment of the relationship. It is in no way related to any tension, any recent situations. There’s no big behind the scenes story,” Harf said.
When asked if Powell’s resignation reflected any “realignment of diplomatic relations between India and the US
seven days before the elections”, she said there’s “no big secret” to timing here.
In an unexpected development, Powell, 66, resigned on Monday, in the midst of general elections in India. She announced that she has submitted her resignation to President Obama, as has been planned for some time.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
“This is the end of a distinguished 37-year career, she deserves to retire – that has included postings as US ambassador to Uganda, Ghana, Pakistan, Nepal and India, as well as service in a number of other locations. But I want to dispel any rumours out there that this is related in any way to anything besides her long-planned retirement,” Harf said.
No decision has been made about Powell’s replacement. The US said the key partnership with India will continue under whoever is named the next ambassador.