The flamboyant wife of Israeli Interior Minister Silvan Shalom published an “inappropriate joke” on Monday about US President Barack Obama on her Twitter account, only to later delete it and apologise.
“Do u know what Obama Coffee is? Black and weak,” Judy Shalom Nir-Mozes wrote to her 74,400 followers.
- Russia Twitter trolls deflected scandalous Donald Trump news, quoted Hillary Clinton email leaks
- Twinkle Khanna apologises: My reaction towards Akshay Kumar-Mallika Dua controversy was purely emotional
- Heather Lind accuses former US President George H.W. Bush of sexual assault
- Mia Khalifa posts photo as Virgin Mary, compares with Malala Yousafzai; Netizens furious
- What is the Harvey Weinstein sexual assault controversy all about?
- Michelle Obama's message for Barack Obama on their 25th marriage anniversary will melt your heart
Online shock, condemnation and accusations of racism later led her to delete the incriminating tweet.
“I apologize, that was a stupid joke somebody told me,” she wrote on her @JudyMozes Twitter account in English.
“President Obama I shouldnt have written the inappropriate joke I heard. I like people no matter about their race and religion,” she also wrote, addressing the US leader directly.
“Sorry if I caused any offence to anyone. I hope I will stay married when my husband will land and hear what I did,” she added.
Her husband, a member of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s Likud party, is also the minister charged with strategic ties with the United States.
The outspoken Nir-Mozes is a scion of the Mozes family that owns the top-selling Yediot Aharonot daily. She hosts a weekly radio programme as well as participating in a number of television shows.
She publishes blunt tweets and Facebook posts about a wide range of social and political issues, including criticising members of Israel’s political left for what she perceives as their lack of patriotism.
Netanyahu is also a regular target for her criticism.