Thursday, Oct 23, 2014

ISIS ‘beheads’ another American journalist, releases video

This still image from an undated video released by Islamic State militants on Tuesday, Aug. 19, 2014, purports to show journalist Steven Sotloff being held by the militant group. ( Source: AP ) This still image from an undated video released by Islamic State militants on Tuesday, Aug. 19, 2014, purports to show journalist Steven Sotloff being held by the militant group. ( Source: AP )
PTI | Washington | Posted: September 2, 2014 11:44 pm | Updated: September 3, 2014 8:12 am

A chilling video of beheading of another American journalist, Steven Sotloff, was today posted on social media by Syria and Iraq-based terrorist group, Islamic State (IS).

American officials said the autheticity of the video is being checked by the US intelligence.

The video titled “A second message to America,” shows the beheading of Sotloff, who is seen saying that he is “paying the price” for US intervention in Iraq.

Also read: ISIS claims to have killed US journalist, posts beheading video

A frame from a video released by Islamic State militants. (Source: AP) A frame from a video released by Islamic State militants. (Source: AP)

It also threatens the life of British captive David Haines.

The news broke out during the daily White House news conference.

“I have not seen those reports today. I think that may have just happened in the last few minutes while I have been standing up here,” White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest, told reporters at his daily news conference.

“This is something that the administration has obviously been watching very carefully, since this threat against Mr Sotloff’s life was originally made a few weeks ago. Our thoughts and prayers, first and foremost, are with Mr Sotloff and Mr Sotloff’s family and those who worked with him,” he said in response to a question.

The US has dedicated significant time and resources to trying and rescue Sotloff, he said.

“I am not in a position to confirm the authenticity of that video or the reports at this point, obviously, since I just walked out here,” the official said.

“But if there is a video that has been released, it is something that will be analysed very carefully by the US government and our intelligence officials to determine its authenticity,” Earnest said.

Last month, IS have posted a video showing the beheading of journalist James Foley, prompting global outrage and strong condemnation.

The 40-year-old journalist had been reporting in Syria when he was abducted in November 2012.

comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,288 other followers