A chilling video of beheading of another American journalist, Steven Sotloff, was today posted on social media by Syria and Iraq-based terrorist group, Islamic State (IS).
American officials said the autheticity of the video is being checked by the US intelligence.
The video titled “A second message to America,” shows the beheading of Sotloff, who is seen saying that he is “paying the price” for US intervention in Iraq.
It also threatens the life of British captive David Haines.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
The news broke out during the daily White House news conference.
“I have not seen those reports today. I think that may have just happened in the last few minutes while I have been standing up here,” White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest, told reporters at his daily news conference.
“This is something that the administration has obviously been watching very carefully, since this threat against Mr Sotloff’s life was originally made a few weeks ago. Our thoughts and prayers, first and foremost, are with Mr Sotloff and Mr Sotloff’s family and those who worked with him,” he said in response to a question.
The US has dedicated significant time and resources to trying and rescue Sotloff, he said.
“I am not in a position to confirm the authenticity of that video or the reports at this point, obviously, since I just walked out here,” the official said.
“But if there is a video that has been released, it is something that will be analysed very carefully by the US government and our intelligence officials to determine its authenticity,” Earnest said.
Last month, IS have posted a video showing the beheading of journalist James Foley, prompting global outrage and strong condemnation.
The 40-year-old journalist had been reporting in Syria when he was abducted in November 2012.