A chilling video of beheading of another American journalist, Steven Sotloff, was today posted on social media by Syria and Iraq-based terrorist group, Islamic State (IS).
American officials said the autheticity of the video is being checked by the US intelligence.
The video titled “A second message to America,” shows the beheading of Sotloff, who is seen saying that he is “paying the price” for US intervention in Iraq.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
It also threatens the life of British captive David Haines.
The news broke out during the daily White House news conference.
“I have not seen those reports today. I think that may have just happened in the last few minutes while I have been standing up here,” White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest, told reporters at his daily news conference.
“This is something that the administration has obviously been watching very carefully, since this threat against Mr Sotloff’s life was originally made a few weeks ago. Our thoughts and prayers, first and foremost, are with Mr Sotloff and Mr Sotloff’s family and those who worked with him,” he said in response to a question.
The US has dedicated significant time and resources to trying and rescue Sotloff, he said.
“I am not in a position to confirm the authenticity of that video or the reports at this point, obviously, since I just walked out here,” the official said.
“But if there is a video that has been released, it is something that will be analysed very carefully by the US government and our intelligence officials to determine its authenticity,” Earnest said.
Last month, IS have posted a video showing the beheading of journalist James Foley, prompting global outrage and strong condemnation.
The 40-year-old journalist had been reporting in Syria when he was abducted in November 2012.