Russian President Vladimir Putin waded into US politics describing former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton – and possible 2016 presidential candidate – as “weak” in some sarcastic comments about women.
In an interview with French television, Putin was asked about Clinton’s recent remarks that the Russian leader was trying to redraw the boundaries in eastern Europe just like Adolf Hitler did in the 1930s.
“It’s better not to argue with women,” Putin replied, adding: “But Mrs. Clinton has never been too graceful in her statements.”
Putin remarked that he met Clinton when she was the US top diplomat “and had cordial conversations at various international events. I think even in this case we could reach an agreement”.
But as the Russian leader has come under fire in the West for his aggressive policies in Ukraine and Moscow’s annexation of Crimea, he did not hide that he found Clinton’s Hitler-like comments extreme.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
“When people push boundaries too far, it’s not because they are strong but because they are weak,” said Putin, who then went on. “But maybe weakness is not the worst quality for a woman.”
First Lady when her husband Bill Clinton was in the White House, Hillary Clinton has become a political force in her own right and an idol of feminists who hope to see her become the first US woman president.
She was a presidential candidate in 2008 but lost the Democratic Party nomination to Barack Obama, who after his election victory asked her – then a senator from New York – to head the US State Department.
Clinton chose not to continue in that post after Obama won a second term in office in 2012, but speculation has been rife that she is planning another run for the White House in 2016.
The French reporters pressed Putin about whether he wanted to get back at Clinton or laugh it off.