Gearing up for a possible 2016 presidential run, former US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has said the “biggest regret” of her tenure was the 2012 attack on a US consulate in Libya that killed four Americans, including its Ambassador.
“You know, my biggest regret is what happened in Benghazi. And it illustrated one of the biggest problems that I faced as Secretary of State,” Clinton said in her keynote address before the National Automobile Dealers Association in New Orleans.
“We have a lot of dangerous locations where we send not our military, but our civilians. And they go in, they have language skills, often. They try to assess what’s going on in the area. But they are vulnerable,” she said.
Four US nationals, including the US Ambassador to Libya Chris Stevens, was killed in a terrorist attack at US Consulate in Benghazi in 2012.
“We had a very small outpost there, the CIA had a very big well-defenced one. Two of our people died at the outpost.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Two died on the roof of the CIA annex. So, you know, it’s a constant balancing. And I had to do that all of the time, and obviously it was a great personal loss to me since I sent Chris Stevens to Libya the first time,” she said.
The attack became a political flashpoint in the run-up to the 2012 election, with Republicans arguing that President Barack Obama tried to play down its significance as he campaigned for a second term. Republicans might make it an issue if Clinton runs for the president’s office in 2016.
Clinton has not made it clear yet if she would run for the post of the president in 2016.