VIDEO: Ahead of Eid, this Muslim guy wanted to break his roza with Hindus at India Gate; did he succeed?

Similar social experiments have been carried out in Paris and Manchester, wherein a Muslim man would stand at a busy junction, blindfolded and asking people for a hug, in a bid to show that human beings are intrinsically good, and that not all Muslims are to be hated of feared.

By: Trends Desk | New Delhi | Updated: June 25, 2017 5:56 pm
muslim, ramzan, ramadan, muslim man hug, blindfolded muslim man seek hug, india muslim man want hug, muslim hug social experiment, india news, indian express, viral videos, trending videos, The act of breaking fast together with friends and family is thought to increase love and harmony. (Source: Afla Toon/ Facebook)

News of angry mob lynching Muslim traders and even a teenager have been haunting us over the past couple of weeks. Debates about growing religious intolerance in India have been the most dominating and concerning issue. But has India really turned so hostile for minority communities? Has hate replaced the love and the very essence of India — unity in diversity?

To find all such answers, a young Muslim man who was fasting during the holy month of Ramadan took up a task — to break his fast with Hindus. Did he succeed?

The man stood blindfolded in the heart of India’s capital at India Gate, New Delhi. Scores of people passed by carefully reading the placard in his hand that read, “Main ek ‘Musalman’ Hu….Aaj Mera Roza hai…Main Chahta hu ki mera Roza…Hindu Bhaiyo ke saath kholu…’Jai Hind’ (I am a Muslim,  I have kept roza today, I want to break my roza with Hindu brothers”.

Speaking to IndianExpress.com, Atif Anwar, the creator of the film said that he did the social experiment as he wants “harmony among all the fractions” of people in the country. Talking about his inspiration behind the project, he said, “I am from Etawah, Uttar Pradesh and I have lived in this harmony and peace where Hindus and Muslims celebrate all the festivals together without even thinking that its Eid or Holi. Inspiration was my experience at Etawah.”

The 26-year-old filmmaker who has made 10 such in short films works as a video producer with a media channel and says have shot all his films on mobile camera.

Watch video here

When asked if he feared any backlash or negative response about the film, he said, “I am a storyteller I want to tell people my side of the story as well as I want to listen to theirs. Loving my work or rejecting is not my choice. Even if one person has seen it and has felt good, my purpose has been served.”

The video of the social experiment was uploaded on a popular page on Facebook called Afla Toon on June 21, and since then has garnered over 1.3 million views, at the time of writing. The comment section of the video proves love is not lost, people have been commending the man for his efforts of reassurance that humanity is not lost completely.

Prviously, after the horrific Manchester attack, a Muslim man carried out a similar social experiment in Manchester asking people if they trusted him enough to give a hug. Another such experiment was carried out in Paris in 2015, after the French capital saw a terrorist attack, and in both the cases, the men were not disappointed.

For all the latest Trending News, download Indian Express App

1. अमोल (भारत)
    Jun 27, 2017 at 9:01 am
    Historically, muslims all over the world, despite their sectarian divides, have been playing the victim card very effectively. This creed has been observed to be outlandishly claiming smallest of their "purported" griefs, while at the same time, causing in-numerous sorrows for the humankind. Historically despite of their whatever sects, muslims have enforced upon the affable and tolerant majority Hindus only unsurmountable miseries, rapes and murders. muslims have, ofr over 1400 years, purposefully acted to destroy this beautiful land, now known as India, and tarnish its secularity and piousness. The behavior of muslims with the majority Hindus has always been cruel, racist and stinkingly discriminatory. Since cruel muslim creed has always behaved barbarically with the lovable and tolerant Hindus, for how long do you think Hindus should show mercy on this barbaric cult? Finally, at least a few Hindus are waking up and doing what they should have done to muslims generations ago. Good
      David
      Jun 27, 2017 at 3:08 am
      But those in power doing exactly opposite of it by using criminal and murderous to Lynch innocents in the name of religion to get more and more votes and create atmosphere of hate in the country before 2019 elections. They always stay silent on Mob Lynching because of their involvement and will not say a word.
      1. N
        Nirmal lakhara
        Jun 26, 2017 at 3:27 pm
        Really really appreciated keep it up that's is our India with no secularism.
        1. H
          Himanshu Bhati
          Jun 26, 2017 at 12:16 pm
          The Muslims in India we're, are n will be judged for their loyalty. Do you know why Muslims are hated becoz they are devil's who follow evils.
            Abbas
            Jun 26, 2017 at 12:53 pm
            People like you are destroying the essence of India.p people like you are the paid followers of evil.not Muslims
            1. N
              Nirmal lakhara
              Jun 26, 2017 at 3:34 pm
              Sorry himanshu but the thinking u r having is really wrong, if everyone will think like this then we don't have to fight for our country bcoz we are fighting with our people only I want tell u one thing I am Hindu like I don't believe in secularism and racism I have many Muslim friends last year I had celebrated ramzan with my friend he offered me sheerkhruma and we both have that in one tiffin box Please change u r thinking bcoz in front of u that person is also called human not an animal or an alien he is also human and I believe in humanity
              1. V
                Vicky
                Jun 27, 2017 at 3:11 am
                Chaddi Gang Bhakt trolls are paid to spread hate. The troll using Himanshu Bhati is doing his job so please ignore him. Country is more educated and these trolls who want to divide people their hate rants.
              2. I
                indian man
                Jun 26, 2017 at 11:46 am
                One person is taking away innocent lives around the world and another person organizing drama to gain sympathy. With one throw stones on Indian soldiers and with other hand giving flowers. Berbaric religion .
                  Pooja sharma
                  Jun 26, 2017 at 11:43 am
                  Too good. This type of jesture is need of the hour. Well done. Id mubark.
                    Shagufta
                    Jun 26, 2017 at 11:15 am
                    Great job! But the thing is that how much it affect the people. Their responding is great. But more i wanted to say that how much it affect the goverment. It is the learning lesson for our goverment. They should understand the value of unity and how it affect the development of our country. The government should stop discriminating the people on the name of religious. No hindus and no muslim,we all are indian and we love our country. WE ARE PROUD TO BE AN INDIAN. LOVE U INDIA🤗
                    1. I
                      indian man
                      Jun 26, 2017 at 11:53 am
                      Another Muslim saint.. Instead of criticizing Govt for discriminating people, first change your be r bar I can religion. When you Muslim kil people no Mullas appear but when Govt takes any action against them, this kind of drama is organized to gain sympathy of people.
                        Mujahed
                        Jun 26, 2017 at 5:05 pm
                        I proud to be an INDIAN.
                        Shradha
                        Jun 26, 2017 at 10:24 am
                        So it isn't just cow vigilantes, anti-romeos and bhakts that have been let lose out there! Great!