It was a knockout punch like the many Mohammad Ali executed during his career. And in hindsight it would appear like one of those television phone-ins Kerala sports minister E P Jayarajan should have avoided.
But he didn’t and the result was disastrous. Speaking to Manorama News the minister started by saying that he had just come to know of the death of Mohammed Ali in the US. He went on to praise the legend before adding the little detail that he had brought in “many medals for Kerala in his heydays”.
- Resort violations: Kerala minister Thomas Chandy resigns, third exit in 18 months
- Congress flays Kerala government move to clear former minister EP Jayarajan
- Janaraksha yatra: 'Amit Shah's march to destroy Kerala's reputation', says CPI(M)
- Senior Kerala minister made to resign for posting his relatives in PSUs
- 'Mistake is a mistake': Kerala sports minister after Muhammad Ali gaffe
- Minister calls Muhammad Ali a ‘Kerala sportsman’
Yes, it was one call Jayarajan shouldn’t have taken.
Some of the people sharing the slip on social media wondered if they should laugh or cry. For those who understand Malayalam, this clip is a must-watch anyway.