• Associate Sponsor

Masaba Gupta silences trolls who called her a ‘bastard child’ for supporting SC’s firecracker ban

"I am the illegitimate product of two of the MOST legitimate personalities you'll find and I've made the best life, both personally and professionally...out of it which I am proud of," designer Masaba Gupta Mantena wrote after being trolled for supporting the firecracker ban in the Capital.

By: Trends Desk | New Delhi | Updated: October 12, 2017 5:49 pm
firecracker ban, masaba gupta, masaba gupta support firecracker ban, chetan bhagat on firecracker ban, masaba gupta's post on trolls, masaba gupta trolled, indian express, indian express news Masaba Gupta was called an ‘illegitimate West Indian’ for supporting the firecracker ban. (Source: File Photo)

The Supreme Court on October 9, 2017, temporarily banned the sale of firecrackers in Delhi-NCR during Diwali this year. The judgment, which was pronounced to keep a check on the alarming pollution level in the city, has divided the people in their opinions. Recently author Chetan Bhagat objected to the judgment and was later severely trolled on social media. However, turns out even supporting the decision does not spare one from getting trolled. Designer Masaba Gupta Mantena, daughter of actor Neena Gupta and West Indies cricketer Viv Richards, had tweeted in support of the firecracker ban. This, however, this did not go down well with a certain section of people on social media.

The designer was scathingly trolled and was called ‘illegitimate West Indian’ and ‘bastard child’. Refusing to let these things get to her, the designer wrote a dignified and strong post  in response.

She wrote, “I am the illegitimate product of two of the MOST legitimate personalities you’ll find & I’ve made the best life, both personally & professionally…out of it which I am proud of.”  “My legitimacy comes from the work I do & what my contribution to the society has been. And you can try but you will not be able to raise a single finger on either of the two,” she added. And finally she referred to herself as a proud Indo-Caribbean girl, “who doesn’t know how to shrink and crumble in shame of something you or your society cannot handle. It’s Just in my ‘illegitimate’ genes.”

This is Gupta’s full post.

“Recently I retweeted in support of the Firecracker ban by the Supreme Court and like every other issue in this country, big or small…The trolling & bashing began.

By calling me names like ‘bastard child’ or ‘illegitimate West Indian’ it only makes my chest swell with pride. I am the illegitimate product of two of the MOST legitimate personalities you’ll find & I’ve made the best life, both personally & professionally…out of it which I am proud of.

I’ve been called these names since I was 10years old & ever since I could read the newspapers these are two words that I am immune to.

My legitimacy comes from the work I do & what my contribution to the society has been. And you can try but you will not be able to raise a single finger on either of the two.

So, please.if you must…go ahead and continue calling me these names if it makes you feel glorious. But know this…I am a proud Indo-Caribbean girl who doesn’t know how to shrink and crumble in shame of something you or your society cannot handle. It’s Just in my ‘illegitimate’ genes.”

This was what she had retweeted.

This was one of the reaction to her retweet.

For all the latest Trending News, download Indian Express App

rajesh
    Oct 12, 2017 at 10:39 pm
    go to your Caribbean land
    (5)(10)
      rajesh
      Oct 12, 2017 at 8:08 pm
      basta d bi th
      (6)(10)
        Sanjay Tirdiya
        Oct 12, 2017 at 7:48 pm
        Illegitimate child.....is there at all such an en y in nature ? The 'illegitimacy' lies on someone else's end, if at all....the intelligent and beautiful Masaba Gupta has a right to her own life that cannot be decided upon by anyone else, whosoever. Of course fire crackers are used the world over by people in celebratory mood and they need to be made less polluting in whatever way they could be made so.
        (15)(3)
          Sanjay Tirdiya
          Oct 12, 2017 at 7:47 pm
          (3)(1)
            samir
            Oct 12, 2017 at 6:25 pm
            Stupid trolls hv no culture how to refer to a girl or lady. and then they speak of some mythical 5000 yr old civilization. this is what u learnt and developed in 5000 yrs? shame go and learn how to behave
            (20)(2)
              Dalit
              Oct 12, 2017 at 7:50 pm
              What else can you expect from Feku's followers? They learn from their master, who left his wife on streets and left her mother in her 90s in Gujarat, all the while he is having royal life in Delhi
              (7)(6)
                rajesh
                Oct 12, 2017 at 8:09 pm
                why don't you lick her bas##d va##na of this " lady "
                (6)(10)
                  Surat
                  Oct 12, 2017 at 8:38 pm
                  Whats licking got to do with this? Are you so fkd up that your parents did not even teach you ho w to behave in public? Shame on you and YOUR parents, who brought such animals to this world. You people are full of hatered that you dont care how you look in public, if this is wh at people in India gets to vote for BJP, count us out, because of you clowns people of india will be forced to vote for Rahul gandhi and no one else will to be blamed but fkrsa like you and that jokers like Krunal. I am figuring out his details and going to put on Faceook to name and shame him, give me yours let me do the honors so that your friends and family can know what kind of fkd up person you are.
                  (10)(3)
                  rajesh
                  Oct 12, 2017 at 8:43 pm
                  I guess you have " ladies " like her in your family too
                  (5)(6)
                  1. B
                    BennyG
                    Oct 13, 2017 at 2:58 pm
                    ...so how come the ones in your family never complained when we... anyway, we can't be sure if you're a by-product, so let bygones be bygones...
                    (0)(3)
                    1. J
                      Josiel Pemberton-Dillon
                      Oct 31, 2017 at 12:19 am
                      You're intelligence is showing... not, stupid coolie baboon!!! That's why the Australians hate your asses, because Indians like you will always have a leg in the dark ages. !!!
                      (0)(0)