Markandey Katju is drawing a lot of hatred for his ‘insensitive’ Facebook post on people from Odisha

By: Express Web Desk | Published:October 14, 2016 8:18 pm
Markandey Katju shared the cartoon on his Facebook page Markandey Katju shared the cartoon on his Facebook page

On October 10, Former Supreme Court judge Markandey Katju wrote a Facebook on people from Odisha which didn’t go down well with many from the state and otherwise. Though, he cracks ‘jokes’ on people from almost every state but this escalated into a controversy as people called it offensive.

Here’s what he wrote:

I was asked to write about the Oriyas ( Odias ). What is there to write about these poor chaps ? Ever since they got a thrashing at the hands of Ashoka in the battle of Kalinga they have been a dejected lot. Now all they have with them are a lot of pots ( Patras ), big pots ( Mahapatras ), and supposedly intelligent kings ( Patnaiks ). And of course they have Lord Jaggannath, to whom they pray every day for revenge on the abominable Biharis.
Hari Om.
P.S. Odias, this is just a joke, so dont file a case against me.

But people didn’t take it as a joke and many on social media hurled abuses at him. “Respected Sir, I’m sure you know more than financial status the mentality of a person also determines his/her level. Yes we have Lord Jagannath. What do you have? Well, just a joke Sir. So don’t file a case against me,” wrote a user.

As the post went viral reaching thousands, Katju apologised to the people of Odisha. He took to Facebook to share his apology.

Two Odia T.V. channels came to interview me at my residence just now—OTV and Prameya News7.
The interviewers said that there was a lot of anger in Odisha against me over my fb post.
I said that I had written my post in lighter vein. However, if Odia people are feeling hurt I apologize. I had no intention to hurt their feelings, and was only joking, just as I had joked about Biharis, Tamilians, etc..
I have great respect for Odia people and of their great achievements. When I went to Odisha, where I have been many times, I marvelled at the sight of the Konarak and Lingaraj temples.
My grandfather, Dr. K.N. Katju had been Governor of Odisha in 1947, and I have strong ties with the state. On my last visit, I met the Chief Minister Mr. Naveen Patnaik, who gave me a lot of respect.
So I apologize again if anyone’s feelings have been hurt.
Jai Lord Jagannath
P.S.
I hope after this apology people of Odisha will be large hearted enough to let me enter the state, and indeed will invite me

However, in another post, Katju wrote that he will never visit Odisha again because people from the state continued to abuse him despite his apology.

On my last fb post I apologized to Odias if I had hurt anyone’s feelings, though my earlier post had been in lighter vein, which indeed I had clarified at the end of the post.
However, a large number of comments were made on the post containing my apology by several Odias which were so horribly abusive ( I have deleted most of them though they are still pouring in ) that I have decided to never go to Odisha in my life.
Let Odias be happy in their home, and I will be happy in mine.

Have something to add to the story? Tell us in the comments below.

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App now

Md Mehrajuddin
    Oct 15, 2016 at 3:30 am
    Recently he had comnented on Mr Amitabah Bachchan that he has nothing in his brain. But now i realised that Mr Markanday has brain full of cow dung.
      abhijeet
      Oct 15, 2016 at 7:42 pm
      soon we may see AK-II
        Anshuman Tripathy
        Oct 16, 2016 at 9:07 am
        Not expected from a retired high ranking Judiciary official to engage in these kind of lewd comments to generate cheap publicity
          S Gopal
          Oct 15, 2016 at 3:56 am
          If he read up a bit more than the Asoka centric history he would know that within three generations of Asoka fighting the epic battle on the banks of the Daya river and attaining a pyrhhic victory over Kalinga, Chakravartin Kharavela of Kalinga sought revenge by defeating the garisson of Pataliputra, made the then King Bahasatimita bow to him and repossessed the Jain idols that were taken away from Kalinga. Visit Dhauligiri, South of Bhubaneswar, to know about Asokan edicts and visit Udayagiri caves in North West Bhubaneswar to learn more on Chakravartin Kharavela, a forgotten Chakravartin who epitomises that Odiya's are not a bunch of sad sacks rather brave warriors and leaders even into this modern day an excellent example being Biju Patnaik, who was accorded the Bhoomi Putra award, the highest civilian award, by Indonessia for flying into harm's way of the then Dutch East Indies to airlift a key leader of the Indonessian freedom movement. He followed this feat up with being one of the first to land in Srinagar after the accession of the princely state of Jammu and Kashmir to Dominion of India and thereby contributing to the effort of thwarting the raiders from across the border from occupying Srinagar.
            ashutos jena
            Oct 16, 2016 at 3:13 am
            a judge from sc shold not view lk this...this shows his poor mind condition.everyone knows what happened on kalinga war...how odias were fought.
              Kapil
              Oct 14, 2016 at 5:32 pm
              Its disgusting that a former supreme court judge writes and makes such controversial comments. It seems like he does this either to seek attention or he is jobless. Mr. Katju, why don't you keep yourself busy in some activities, develop a hobby or write a book.
                Kshetrabasi Pintu
                Oct 15, 2016 at 1:38 am
                It is a fact that the odias are in compeion to be poors owing to grab the Govt.money by way of nasty policy in order to restore the vote bank. Hence, Justice Katju is just and genuine in his pen on fb.
                  Mohanty
                  Oct 14, 2016 at 5:34 pm
                  Or better still d ie and go to hh ell !!
                    Parthasarathi Mishra
                    Oct 16, 2016 at 7:04 am
                    He delets comments when he finds himself loosing the ground. Who is he to evaluate Odias?
                      Parthasarathi Mishra
                      Oct 16, 2016 at 7:08 am
                      That joke was a stupid comment actually. He gives an incomplete historical background and says that the community is a dejected lot, they pray to Lord Jagannath to take revenge on Biharis? You cannot bully people by saying anything and term that as a joke. And then would b the w community being conservative.
                        P.C.Parida
                        Oct 18, 2016 at 4:33 pm
                        How a man of such insensibility and cynical atude had been a judge of our country's apex court?.
                          Rajani Choudhary
                          Oct 15, 2016 at 4:40 pm
                          you seem in the compeion for fool with Katju! Have some general knowledge!
                          1. T
                            Thrinethran T
                            Oct 14, 2016 at 11:46 pm
                            He is a character and it is fine if India has a few like him. What is dangerous is people going ballistic over a mere joke.