‘Not In My Name’ protest: Renuka Shahane posts strong message after Junaid Khan lynching

Renuka Shahane, who is popular for her strong opinions on social media, also posted a long message on Facebook to stand for the 'Not In My Name' protest.

By: Trends Desk | New Delhi | Updated: June 28, 2017 10:29 pm
renuka shahane, not in my name, not in my name protest, junaid khan lynching, junaid khan, junaid khan murder, muslim lynching, indian express, indian express news Renuka Shahane posted a strong message for ‘Not in my name’ protest. (Source: Renuka Shahane/Facebook)

A 16-year-old boy named Junaid Khan was brutally stabbed to death on by a mob of cruel, bloodthirsty individuals while returning from Delhi along with his two brothers after Eid shopping. Can you imagine what it was all about? A petty fight over train seats escalated and religious slurs were hurled at the brothers, and it led to murder. After the horrifying incident, people from all across the cities in India stood up for the #NotInMyName protest. A demonstration scheduled in Delhi and several other cities across the country on June 28 saw citizens standing against incidents of lynching of Muslims and Dalits.

The shocking incident has left many baffled. In the wake of the protests, Renuka Shahane, who is popular for her strong opinions on social media, also posted a long message on Facebook. Stressing on the fact that “innocence dies when hate rules”, she expressed her views in a powerful post.

See what she wrote here.

“NOT IN MY NAME

Junaid was lynched by a mob of cruel human beings. I don’t care what religion those lynchers belonged to. Nor do I care what religion Junaid belonged to. I only care about one thing. A group of mean, cruel human beings killed a teenager and assaulted three other young men brutally!
Junaid was 16.
My elder son will turn 16 next year.
My heart breaks for Junaid’s mother.
Not only did a group of cruel human beings kill Junaid, another group of cruel human beings egged them on. Junaid was also killed by those cruel people who witnessed the insanity & chose to remain silent.
There are some cruel people who justify this lynching.
Yes! Hate allows for all sorts of justification.
There has been a long list of these lynchings. It has become so common that no one talks about it. Nobody asks questions about what happened to the perpetrators. Whether they were caught & given the strictest punishment or whether they were released to unleash more violence!
I cannot fathom how anyone can kill unarmed, innocent human beings!
I cannot fathom how people can justify this horrific violence!
Instead of taking law into their own hands why are police complaints not made?
Is it because the lynch mob knows that there is no reason behind what they have done?
All they want to do is to kill in the name of hate.
Whichever religion, ideology, language, ethnicity you belong to, lynching done in any name cannot be condoned!
We’ve suffered so many riots, terrorist attacks, pogroms, lynchings but we haven’t learnt anything.
The bottom line is that innocent human beings become the target of that hate. They are usually poor. They are usually those who are incapable of fighting back. It is really too, too disheartening.
Innocence dies when hate rules!
I cannot be a part of those who encourage hate.
I was with the Ekta Manch marching from Parel to Azad Maidan singing ” Hum hongey kaamyaab….” to promote brotherhood between fellow citizens of all faiths in 1993 after the horrendous riots followed by the heinous bomb blasts in Mumbai.
I marched to the Gateway of India to protest the utter failure & crass mishandling of 26/11 by the then Congress Govt in the State and the Centre in 2008.
I supported the Anna Hazare anti corruption movement when he waged the civil battle against the UPA 2 Govt at the Centre.
I was vocal about women’s safety after the horrendous rape & murder of Jyoti Singh as well as Pallavi Purkayastha as well as the sickening hacking of Swathi.
Today I stand firmly against the lynch mentality that has an active political patronage in our country.
I do not belong to any political party. I am a citizen of one of the finest democracies in the World. That is why it is so important for all of us to respect & protect the tenets of our Constitution.
I, as a proud citizen of India, do not conform to the views of anyone who actively or passively supports this lynching.
My allegiance lies with the Constitution of India.
If the Govt or any other body does anything to undermine the basic tenets of democracy in our country, I will vocally oppose it.
I so wanted to be a part of the peaceful civil protest at Carter Road today but I can’t. But I will not be a part of this hate!
I do not want my children to inherit this hate.
I will not have the blood of innocents on my hands.

NOT IN MY NAME!”

Read the original post here.

Do you support her views? Tell us in the comments below.

For all the latest Trending News, download Indian Express App

1. B
    Bharatraj
    Jul 3, 2017 at 7:25 pm
    Indeed any type of murder is not humanity.Killing of animals by humans does not matter to us the so called civilised beings.Countless animals are slaughtered each day it does not affect us in anyway?Has not nature given each of them a fixed term to live on this beautiful mother Earth.We humans have reduced a major portion of all the species of animals,birds trees.I remember a news I read in the paper about a tiger which entered into a village which was killed by the villagers using sticks stones.This ,when the animal was forced by us by our act of destroying it's home ,the forest.And this was at the time when we were spending lakhs of ₹ on trail of Kasab who entered our home killed a number of people all this in the name of human rights.So the question is, When will all of us become sensible learn to live in harmony with all GOD's creation.
    1. V
      V Pramod
      Jul 2, 2017 at 8:32 pm
      Here, a young boy has been killed, that too after a good deed- that of giving up his seat voluntarily to another person. Even otherwise, there can be no place for assault in a civilised society. Ensure the sternest punishment possible to the perpetrators of this dastardly act.
        KD Row
        Jul 2, 2017 at 8:15 am
        I support all moves against lynching. But where were they when women were raped n thrown off trains? And subsequently died? When a young Army Officer on leave in Kashmir is dragged out n shot? When stones are pelted at Army n Para military forces? All I say is have a uniform n balanced approach? If not, I am sorry. Your MOTIVES come under the scanner.
        1. I
          Indian
          Jul 2, 2017 at 6:43 am
          No , I can't support because in Srinagar D.S.P. AYUB PANDIT was also killing by mob but no one raise sound for him and he was also mudered by mob during duty time and everyone know mob is a group of those people who were gathering for namaj in masjid in Friday .
            KAK
            Jul 1, 2017 at 5:19 pm
            Not in my name ! I support Renuka , she is correct . Let us unite together and voice against any injustice , Lynching, etc happening in our country .
              Pritipal Singh
              Jul 1, 2017 at 12:06 am
              Great Thoughts! Long Live Renuka! India needs Mothers like you!
                ksd
                Jun 30, 2017 at 9:03 pm
                I support the comments. What I do not understand is - prime minister who actually tweets even doing his morning exercise lost voice when such horrific incidents were happening. It took at least 20 people to die and thousands to come out for our most energetic prime minister to come out and speak. This is the same man who complained about inaction of previous prime minister. It has become a crude practice to respond conveniently. Anyway need more voices to make our prime minister avoid becoming what he complained about. We want an involved and active prime minister through out not just during elections at state level or just for coining catch phrases and acronyms.
                1. Y
                  Yaser Saleem
                  Jun 29, 2017 at 11:24 pm
                  Its not in the Name for sure, We are much educated and more matured when compared to 1991 and 2002. We need to understand that we can stand still and in peace only by joining shoulders side by side not by fighting and fooling ourselves for illogical reasons. My dear brothers and sisters of this beautiful nation our ancestors fought side by side to get the independence not for this day. This is not the India which Ram Prasad and Bismill dreamt of, neither did Patel and Khan abdul Ghaffar imagined such things in their struggles about the future of our country. We have serious problems of poverty, slums, noneducational issues and plenty of such issues which are common in all the communities.