Yet another man’s Facebook post exposes Indian Railways’ ‘catering scam’

The man was charged Rs80 for each biryani, but he had his doubts, so he went to the pantry car later and asked for the menu.

By: Trends Desk | New Delhi | Published:June 11, 2017 12:38 pm
indian railways, indian railways catering scam, catering scam, irctc, irctc catering scam, indian express, indian express news The man was even asked to stop recording! (Source: Neelabh Khanikar/Facebook)

Earlier this year, a Kolkata man had posted about the ongoing ‘catering scam’ prevalent in the Railways’ pantry cars. Now, yet another post on the social networking site has drawn a lot of attention. Bareilly-based Neelabh Khanikar was travelling from Duliajan to Dimapur on the New Tinsukia Rajendra Nagar Patna Express with his family, when he bought two plates of egg briyani.

Khanikar was charged Rs80 for each biryani, but he had his doubts, so he went to the pantry car later and asked for the menu. There he found that the “actual price of one plate egg biriyani is Rs 63/- instead of Rs 80/-“, the man wrote in a detailed Facebook post that has subsequently gone viral. Khanikar even traced the server and recorded a video of him, asking the man why he charged more than the printed price. He continued recording even at the pantry car, asking officials why they were overcharging.

Khanikar was even asked to stop recording, and have a chat, but he refused to do so, saying he will bring it to the notice of the Railway minster, Suresh Prabhu. The officials say that they had overcharged by mistake, and didn’t realise the actual price of the food, finally agreeing to return the extra money to him.

Watch the video here:

Here is the entire post:

Today I was travelling from Duliajan to Dimapur by train no-13281(New Tinsukia Rajendranagar Patna express). My berth was in coach no B-2 and I was travelling with my family. On the way I bought two plates of egg briyani from the pantry car of the train. The seller charged Rs 80/- for each plate. I asked him that whether the price was as per the rate card of the pantry car? He said that it was as per the menu card. Tough I was not convinced, I paid him Rs 160/-. Later I went to the pantry van and asked for the menu card. With little hesitation one guy handed over the menu card to me and there I found that the actual price of one plate egg biriyani is Rs 63/- instead of Rs 80/-. Then I raised my voice and what happened later you can see in the video. Finally they agreed to return the extra amount that they have charged for food items to other co-passengers too. Today, I took a very small step to prevent corruption. I urge everyone not to ignore and not to become a silent observer for any kind of corruption around you. Plz act against it. It is always better to contribute than complain.
“Kar ke dekho, accha lagta hai”
Jai Hind !

Back in February, a similar incident had come to the fore when Protapta Das, a Facebook user, had written about the experience of a retired IAS officer Shivendra K Sinha, highlighting similar overcharging of food items by the servers. At the time, IRCTC PRO Sandip Dutta ad clarified to the indianexpress.com that the “IRCTC is aware of the phenomenon of over-pricing in trains and has been taking measures to make passengers aware of the various price points of products available”. Since the catering services for most trains have been licensed out, it becomes difficult for IRCTC to keep tabs on individual train practices.

So, to make sure passengers know their entitlement, IRCTC has been tweeting out price lists, and encourages passengers to check the proper rate cards before making payments.

In the meantime, Khanikar’s post has generated a lot of buzz online, with close to 8,000 shares at the time of writing.

For all the latest Trending News, download Indian Express App

Kimberly Lisa
    Jun 14, 2017 at 6:08 am
    Do you have a bad credit? Do you need money to pay bills? Do you need to start up a new business? Do you have unfinished project at hand due to bad financing? Do you need money to invest in some area of specialization which will profit you? and you don’t know what to do. We offer the following loans below, personal loans[secure and unsecured] business loans[secure and unsecured] combination loans students loans consolidation loans and so many others. 1. Full Names:---------------- 2. Contact Address:---------------- 3. Loan Amount Needed:---------------- 4. Duration of the Loan---------------- 5. Direct Telephone Number:---------------- EMAIL: donaldmarkloanfunding Mr Donald Mark
      Kimberly Lisa
      Jun 14, 2017 at 6:07 am
      Good day everyone, My name is Kimberly Lisa, I’m from USA, Florida and I am here to give a brief story about a loan testimony I received from Donald Mark Loan Funding . I was looking for a legit loan lender few days back when I got the email from this company and they gave me a quick loan. Apply for a fast loan today email contact: ( donaldmarkloanfunding ) .. Share this good news and get your loan today.Stay Blessed. Kimberly Lisa
        Dr. Pramod Dubale
        Jun 12, 2017 at 11:07 am
        I don't think this is a "catering scam". The egg biryani Rs. 80, which was delivered to included,Rs.63 ry of the employee, who delivered to you, was reasonable.
          Raghavendran Madhavan
          Jun 12, 2017 at 10:40 am
          This is everyday story one such incident come out.. for tea they charge for 10 rupees... Railway has to take strict action on these vendors .. also quality and taste of the food is too worst...
            Siva Kumar
            Jun 12, 2017 at 8:48 am
            IRCTC should ensure availability of menu / rate card with every seller and display them in two or three places in the pantry car. This will curtail such corrupt practices.
            1. T
              Tarakant
              Jun 12, 2017 at 8:07 am
              Two week before I travelled from Pune to Delhi via swarna jayanthi exp and they charged RS100 for full meal. I had a bad discussion with them. Again I tool Durango on my returing and things were pathetic. Dirty bed roll, welcome drink was smel , water bottle was hot. Pathetic service by railway.i twitted to sureshprabhu and railway but no answer. Only government increased the fare and no control on these things
                KRITI MOHAN
                Jun 12, 2017 at 7:51 am
                A nice video upload and eye opening for all the passengers. I have had a similar experience while travel in Sangmitra express from Bangalore. But what will happen next we all will forget after a day and journey continuous. The best solution is boycott all the pantry car stuff and travel with home foodor order on line. Yes I agree not possible every time and specially for the General compartment passengers.I do not know when Modi ji's dream will come into action of corrupted free INDIA.Not only the charges are the quality of food they serve, it is horrible.Even the dogs will also think twice before consuming and the hygine condition at pantry cars. But this problems are mainly in long distance trains southern part of India this problem is less. I am normally travel Bangalore to Chennai the items served are fresh and properly priced. No extra Charge. The railway should display the rates in each compartment about the actual price or menu as a public awareness and as advisory.
                1. L
                  Lav kumar
                  Jun 11, 2017 at 10:14 pm
                  Well this is not new to various travelers on indian railways, I am a regular traveler in train to various places on pilgrimage and on my profession, I have noticed various times that the food items served by the catering contractor are substandard and charged high, when we question they are not bothered to reply and they rude in replying, I have stopped buying in train I always carry my food along with me are buy the same when train stops in some statio. Mr, Prabu just do not boast of various facilities being introduced, look in to this matter and rectify, all passengers will appreciate you, further i request you to put the menu charges list in each compartment so that the passengers are aware about the actual price of the food being served, further let the contractor serve better quality of food for the exorbitant charges they are charging. If this is rectified i ure you that I will not carry my food from the house but I will purchase in the train.